Community Book Event

Students in Facing History and Ourselves classes will host an event for the community to discuss the book Night, a Holocaust survivor memoir by Nobel Peace Prize Winner Elie Wiesel. For details about the event, contact the class instructor, David Cohen.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Holocaust Paintings

On Monday we studied six paintings created by Holocaust survivor Samuel Bak. I found it remarkable that he had his first art exhibition when he was only about nine years old and trapped in a Jewish ghetto. The memories of the Holocaust are very much apparent in his haunting images of expressionless, maimed faces and corroded objects. The color palette he chose--dark, dulled colors--sets a melancholy mood.
My favorite picture was "Keeper of Secrets". A huge stone pear sits under stormy skies. It has cracked, with shards piling up on the ground and the middle crumbling away to reveal a key. The keyhole, strangely, is on the pear's exterior. The paint is mostly blue, with a few flecks of yellow or brown in the ground. Although it is a rather simple composition, it holds deep feelings. I think the survivors of the Holocaust are just like the pear. Although they may have hidden locked their memories and hidden the key deep inside, the memories will haunt them and eventually break down the walls and burst out.

1 comment:

  1. I looked for "Keeper of Secrets" but I couldn't find it. Do you have a URL so I could see it online?

    I had not realized how often the pear shows up in Bak's work until you mentioned this painting and I went looking through Google Images of his work.

    It's totally not related, but I have a beautiful blue pear painted by a Canadian artist. I wonder if he knew Bak's work.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and questions are welcome, along with your thoughtful and polite contributions and encouragement. All comments are moderated, meaning they will be screened before publishing.