Community Book Event

Students in Facing History and Ourselves classes will host an event for the community to discuss the book Night, a Holocaust survivor memoir by Nobel Peace Prize Winner Elie Wiesel. For details about the event, contact the class instructor, David Cohen.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

We have now finished the book!

In truth, this was my second time reading Night--I found, though, that I noticed many details this time around that had escaped me the first time I read the book. Also, various ideas discussed in class, such as eugenics, impossible decisions, and the Holocaust's effect on faith, deepend my understanding of the work.

I found the book, overall, to be a powerful reflection on humanity and it's potential for cruelty. The tone was tired, somber, as though life was to much for Wiesel. Even the ending was somewhat pessimistic. In his life, however, I believe Wiesel has shown what can be made of such a horrific experience--how to rise above it, and use the experience to shape a better future.

We are now focused entirely on preparing for the event. Positions are being assigned, themes/content are being discussed, lessons are being taught that we, in turn will teach our guests.

Today we focused in on Jewish musicians of the Holocaust. We listened to music they had composed while being held in concentration camps, and analyzed/responded to it. I found that I greatly enjoyed the excercise--their music had a modern, creative quality to it, and the emotion of the music was almost palpable. One of the selections--Passacaglia & Fugue for String Trio-- had a desolate, somber quality, while the other, String Quartet # 2 Opus 7, was more frantic, bristling, with a hint of anger.

Soon, we will be discussing fine art as a way to respond to the Holocaust. As an artist myself, I am looking forward to this excercise. :)

1 comment:

  1. How did you find the art? I am interested in your perspective as an artist. Both because you have self-identified as an artist and also because both of the newer posts that discuss Bak's work are not by you. (Yes, I had to go check, because I remembered you had written something.)

    I am very interested in what you thought of Bak and the discussions the class had.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and questions are welcome, along with your thoughtful and polite contributions and encouragement. All comments are moderated, meaning they will be screened before publishing.